Patreon Frequently Asked Questions
What is Patreon?
Our Patreon community is the best way to enhance your bourbon experience and connect with fellow bourbon lovers in St. Louis. Short for Patronage, Patreon is an online membership platform that allows individuals to help financially support the work of the Bourbon Society and receive some really cool benefits, products and exclusive experiences along the way. You can sign up monthly or yearly (which includes one month free.), and there are no associated contracts allowing you to cancel at anytime if it isn't for you.
What are the Benefits?
We currently offer 3 different benefit tiers within the St. Louis Bourbon Society Patreon community, STL, Single Barrel and Barrel Proof. In short, all tiers receive welcome gifts (based on tier) and exclusive access to local classes, blind tastings, happy hours and plenty of other events. Patreon members also receive tiered access to participate in our barrel selections, early access to event tickets and early access to barrel select releases. More information on the three tiers, and the benefits provided by each can be found here. All tiers are subject to availability.
Those benefits sound great, can you tell me more?
Absolutely! We are so glad you theoretically asked! Here are some things our Patreon community has done since its inception in January of 2020
- Barrel Picks of New Riff (At the Distillery), Old Elk , Ezra Brooks, Rebel Yell, Woodford Reserve, Woodford Double Oaked, Larceny, Knob Creek, Wilderness Trail, Whistle Pig, Bulleit, George Remus, Buffalo Trace, Yellowstone and more!
- Free double blind tastings, and educational events with bourbon legends like Freddie Johnson
- Bottle share event and Pere Marquette Lodge
- Over a dozen bottle giveaways.
- And more events are constantly being added and discussed, with over 20 barrel picks slated for 2021
How does the tier system work for barrel pick teams?
We offer Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 access to barrel picks depending on your membership level. The way this works is as follows:
- Tier one members are invited based on how long they have been a member and when their last pick was. When you do a barrel pick, we note that and send you to the end of the Tier 1 line. This helps to ensure everyone has a chance to participate, but also ensures someone who signed up last week isn't picking over someone who has been a member for 4 months and never gotten to be on a barrel pick team.
- Once tier one members are contacted, if spots still remain Tier 2 members are contacted. This follows the same logic as tier one where those who have been members the longest without doing a pick are contacted first.
- Once all tier 1 and tier 2 members are contacted, Tier 3 members are contacted if spots still remain following the same logic as tier one and tier two.
Where does my money go?
The money from Patreon gets reinvested into the group to fund things like sample bottles, packaging/labeling for tasting kits, merchandise, web hosting, patreon happy hours, barrel picks and other SLBS hosted events and giveaways.